Rajko M. wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008 02:33:39 pm Timothy Cahill wrote:
>
>> I've recently downgraded to the 32-bit version of OpenSuSE 10.3 that is
>> installed from the live version. One annoyance is that I cannot see rpm
>> package descriptions for most of the rpms that came with the DVD. When I
>> browse the DVD using Konqueror, I can see that the descriptions are there,
>> but in YAST2 the description tab is blank of all information except the
>> Package name.  I've tried to google this problem, but I've not found any
>> matching descriptions. Has anyone else experienced this?
>>

>> --
>> Timothy Cahill
>>

> Missing descriptions are for packages that are not installed.
> Internet times have spoiled developers ie. files that are not 'downloaded'
> don't have descriptions.
>
> I have to check here is it any different with DVD as installation source.

I used to have that problem when I had an rpm only directory for my
local repository (still wishing for a yast that saves rpms ) . It came
right when I used createrepo to index the repository. The descriptions
you see are contained in the rpm itself and createrepo places them in a
gz compressed xml file in the repository. This is what takes a lot of
time to download when a large repository refreshes.
 KPackage, kde's package manager reads the description straight from the
rpm. I don,t know what smart does, I've never got it to work properly.
Dave