Bjørn Lie wrote:
man, 14.01.2008 kl. 16.03 +0100, skrev Clayton:
snip
Exactly.  Other than a few on this mailing list, I have yet to meet
ANYONE who likes or uses Beagle.  The issue is not whether or not
these people do or do not use a desktop search tool... it's because of
the major performance impact that happens when Beagle is running.

I can really see the usefulness of the concept behind Beagle...
especially for a few end users that I know and help out from time to
time.  The trade off though... The system performance impact they are
all reporting is consistent... and it's consistent with my experience.

To those that say open a bug report... open it and say what?  Beagle
is too slow?  Devs will want specifics (and rightly so).  I have no
specifics other than to say that Beagle is not suitable to be used on
a regular basis because of the performance impact I and every one else
I know have experienced.... which is basically what almost everyone
here is saying... minus the few who do have Beagle working fine.

snip

I have no problems with Beagle, works like a charm, and I like it a lot!

I'll admitt that I've had one -1- issue with it, when it made my box a
slow hog, and that was when someone sent me a borked .doc file, that
made beagle choke. Deleted the file, and no, none, whatsoever problems
since.

That this can happen is known as far as I could find out, so I didn't
file a bug. + the devs want the broken file in the bug, and the content
in this file was not something I could put out in the wild.

This is such complete bullshit by the devs.

There is NO REASON for them to be using ANY system calls
which could result in a target file being opened for
writing, let alone unlinked.  All they need to do is go
back and REMOVE the code which allows such things to
happen in the first place.

How in the world is a program which is SUPPOSED to be
opening files and directories with READ PERMISSION ONLY
removing *ANY* of those files????

There shouldn't be a need for the file to determine
HOW the algorithm got to an unlink(2) system call
because THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY unlink(2) calls in
the scanner and indexing portions of the code in
the first place.

No wonder beagle a stinking pile -- this indicates that
the devs are completely irresponsible.

What you have to remember is that us that have no problems with beagle
are not vocal about it. People tend to only speak up when they encounter
issues, the reminder of the time we keep our mouth shut.
The reason for me speaking up now is that this never ending trolling
against beagle has to stop.

Bjørn