Kevin Dupuy wrote:
On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 12:35 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Clayton wrote:
I'll go for not throwing up dependency errors if uninstalling, but it
definitely needs to be in the default install. Most users will want
Beagle.
I doubt this - all the users we have hate beagle and either remove it
or ask someone to remove it for them.
Exactly.  Other than a few on this mailing list, I have yet to meet
ANYONE who likes or uses Beagle.  The issue is not whether or not
these people do or do not use a desktop search tool... it's because of
the major performance impact that happens when Beagle is running.

I can really see the usefulness of the concept behind Beagle...
especially for a few end users that I know and help out from time to
time.  The trade off though... The system performance impact they are
all reporting is consistent... and it's consistent with my experience.

To those that say open a bug report... open it and say what?  Beagle
is too slow?  Devs will want specifics (and rightly so).  I have no
specifics other than to say that Beagle is not suitable to be used on
a regular basis because of the performance impact I and every one else
I know have experienced.... which is basically what almost everyone
here is saying... minus the few who do have Beagle working fine.

I would like to know how they managed it... if the answer is something
along the lines of "I opened a terminal, su to root, nice -19ed it and
then issue this other long string of commands..."... sorry... that
tells me that Beagle should not be given to the masses by default.  If
it works by default, then why is it working for you and not the rest
of us?  What is different?  I install a default install as given me by
the openSUSE installer and Beagle is consistently a resource hog...
not only on initial boot, but long long after as well.  This is the
same (in my experience) on clean installs with no user data, and on my
desktop with its 1.2TB of legacy data across 7 drives.  Something
doesn't make sense here.
Old saying:

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I think it applies here.

I cannot believe that the devs are NOT aware of this....
it's been this way for several years, and they haven't
done shit about it.  Which indicates that they just
aren't interested in fixing it.

And WHAT exactly makes you think the devs haven't been working on that
issue? Are you in communication with the devs who told you they don't
care?

A basic functionality issue existing for years on end,
and which has been widely commented upon over this time.

The lack of improvement is a clear demonstration that
there is something seriously wrong with this team
and their code.