Marcin Floryan wrote:
On 17/01/2008, David C. Rankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ken Schneider wrote:

        No, this is just another of my anal retentive moments where I can't
understand why my machine wants to ssh out to the world as
mail.3111skyline.com. It's another of my inquisitively stupid "Why?"
questions. I mean, what logic on the box looks to bind dns and says, "I
want to be known as mail today? Hell, why not nemesis.3111skyline.com,
it real name? (Ur, Umm, the name of the box is probably at fault) I
should have called the son-of-a-bitch accommodating.3111skyline.com and
I wouldn't have to put up with this stuff.

        I know it doesn't matter, but why?

It is simply a problem of incorrectly configured reverse DNS for the
domain. A lookup for 66.76.63.120 yields mail.3111skyline.com. If mail
and nemesis are on machine as it seems to be I would also consider
using CNAME.

The remote client will log the DNS-Name of the reverse lookup as the client name. How the client announces itself to the world is dependent on the hostname that was configured on the box itself.

--
Sandy

List replies only please!