I resorted to downloading 1.4.2 from the 10.2 repos and rpm'ing them in.
The web app (webct) works now but most other java is a bit broken! I am using
32bit firefox.

While the 32/64bit thing wasn't fundamental here (broken webct was), the whole
thing is a bit of
a shambles, imho, 10.3 should have shipped with a 32bit firefox or at least an
option for this.
Sorting it out is not trivial.

Many browser pluigins do not yet work with 64bit browesers,
would you like to use a 32bit browser with all the plugins instead? Y/n