Pavel:

Now you've scared me.  I assumed when I put the path of the java
executable in Konqueror that that was what was running.  If this is
not true, why is it there?

The path I use in Konqueror is: /usr/java/latest/jre/bin/java (the
default location of the openJDK install) in Java Runtime Settings.
How can this possibly violate the java security policy on my machine?
And why do you say Konqueror is only running a plugin?  Incidentally,
this is on AMD64 with the 64 bit JDK.

Thanks for helping me understand this.   I am sure there are others
here laboring under the same misunderstanding that Konqueror runs the
java for which we've given it the path.

Chuck