On Thursday 17 January 2008 18:32:45 Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Thursday 2008-01-17 at 14:19 +0800, Jonathan Ervine wrote:
> > Second this sentiment. An upgrade really shouldn't take all weekend.
>
> Ha! How often do you do upgrades? I mean, not a fresh install? It does
> take the weekend. The machine is up and running in 3..6 hours, but then
> you are adjusting configs and solving problems the rest of the week.

It depends. Desktops/laptops with every release. As was stated, these aren't
really an issue anyway. Servers - not as frequently. But then for servers I
use SLES. Even so, I don't find that I need to adjust configs for the rest of
the week. I suppose if you count testing time into the 'time to upgrade' then
my upgrades might take a while. (Not forgetting making sure I have a last
known good backup, or at least a roll-back method)

> I do upgrade, so I know...

Fair enough - everyone has a different experience. I also see from another
thread that you recompile your kernels which presumably adds to your
upgrade/tweaking/fixing time as well...