--- Philippe Landau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maura Edelweiss Monville wrote:
> > Therefore X was messed up ... how come ? It worked
> > fine up to the night before. I turned off the
> computer
> > in the end of my working session.
> An update could be the culprit.

I noticed that my laptop is being updated pretty
frequently. When I am notified that some new patches
are ready I am at a loss whether to install them or
not.

> > In short I had to reinstall SuSE 10.3 which fixed
> the
> > problem. But the serious difficulty was to save
> three
> > directories where I have all my recent
> developments. I
> > thought through knoppix I could mount both the
> > internal and external hard drive and make copies.
> > Apparently knoppix mounts the peripherals in a
> > read-only mode (???) so .. forget about it.
> No, it does to protect users, but right-click a
> drive
> on the desktop and choose the option to make them
> writable.

Thank you. I did not know that. The previous time I
used knoppix was over 2 years ago. But I would expect
a technician that I pay as the Linux "expert" to know
that. I saw this guy groping for a solution just like
me.

> > Fortunately I have a  web site  on a remote
> server. So
> > from the simple text- mode I could compress and
> ftp my
> > directories to my web site from which I could
> recover
> > them after reinstalling SuSE 10.3
> >
> > As a consequence I fell behind my schedule. To
> prevent
> > future emergencies I am thinking of getting
> another
> > laptop/notebook.
> You are right, if you depend on your computer,
> you need a backup computer at the ready.

I am planning to get another laptop. A dual core.
I have no time to update myself about what is
available put together a configuration.

Thank you,
Maura

> Kind regards     Philippe