On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 08:44 +0100, Jos van Kan wrote:
> Jerry Feldman schreef:
> > On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:35:02 +0100
> > Philippe Landau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Yes, others recommend VirtualBox though (free too).
> >> Or if it is just for that: Crossover Office, which is not free.
> >> Which one is easier to install and backup ?
> >
> > I found Virtualbox to be a bit easier to install than VMWare.
> > However, VMWare, Virtualbox, WINE and Crossover Office (essentially
> > WINE +) are all excellent products.
> >
> > I think I would recommend using CrossoverOffice for Maura.
> > CrossoverOffice and WINE are Linux native programs (and libraries) that
> > fool Windows applications into believing they are running on Windows.
> > Therefore, all your files can be kept on your Linux file system and
> > available to you from Linux.
>
> I found CrossOverOffice excruciatingly slow when using an Access database to
> print labels in Word. (About the only use I have for XP, apart from playing
> bridge on the net. :-) Now I use XP on Vmware and access my Linux filesystem
> with Samba (or whatever it is called now, cifs I believe). I also print via
> Samba, although in theory XP should be able to access the CUPS-server, but I
> never could get that to work. VMware is stable as a rock and in my set up you
> must not forget to restart the smb and nmb deamons after a Samba security
> update. :-) In short,  YMMV.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Jos van Kan                registered Linux user #152704

Jos,

Crossover works great with word, excel and powerpoint not Access. BTW I
do not know anybody (:-) using Access, even MS do not use access for
what I heard (?). There are a zillion way to print labels. This is my
approach: I use evolution for my list of contacts and I do the labels
under OO. If you need to use Access then you are using the correct
approach: VMware etc or multiboot.
-=terry=-