I've posted a couple times about this with no replies yet....

Earlier today, the entire computer came crashing to a halt... so it
forced me to spend more time looking into the problem.

The motherboard I have (ASUS M2N-e SLI) has 4 SATA2 ports.  SATA 1, 2,
3 and 4.  I also have a SATA1 RAID controller with 2 SATA ports.  I
have drives connected on IDE0 and IDE1 and they are working fine.

Scenario 1: If I leave the RAID card out, and just connect drives to
SATA 1 and SATA 2.... the computer boots fine.  BIOS finds the SATA
drives, and Linux is happy.

Scenario 2: If I add drives to SATA 3 and 4 in Scenario 1, the BIOS
sees all four drive2, but when I boot Linux, it errors out.  I can
boot the OS, but the error logs fill up with errors, and I have
serious performance issues.. until it just dies altogether.

The boot errors look like this:
-----------------
<6>ata3: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
<4>ata3.00: qc timeout (cmd 0x27)
<4>ata3.00: failed to read native max address (err_mask=0x4)
<4>ata3: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
<6>ata3: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
<4>ata3.00: qc timeout (cmd 0x27)
<4>ata3.00: failed to read native max address (err_mask=0x4)
<3>ata3.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
<4>ata3: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
<4>ata3.00: limiting speed to UDMA7:PIO5
<4>ata3: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
------------------
and continue on for quite some time.

Scenario 3: If I add the RAID card in to Scenario 1, but do not
connect any drives to the RAID, all boots and works OK.

Scenario 4: If I connect 2 SATA drives to the RAID card, and have two
drives from Scenario 1 also connected, all works and boots OK.

Scenario 5:  If I connect a SATA drive to SATA 3 or 4 in Scenario 4, I
get the same results as with Scenario 2... a long list of SATA errors
on the boot.

Has anyone encountered this before?  Could it be a hardware issue.. a
failing SATA controller on the motherboard, or is it some obscure
Linux thing?

C.