Chris Miller wrote:
Then there would be an outcry of "too much to configure.. waaah". :-)
Well I did say it wasn't perfect :-)  However, there would be *nothing* to
configure if the user wasn't skinning their app. If they were skinning, then
I agree that the configuration in web.xml is still awkward. If you can think
of a cleaner solution for that problem I'm all for it.
Well, specifying roles (as already described in previous post) that may access actions would work.

So those paths would then be duplicated in xwork.xml? Doesn't sound very
appealing to me.
Not quite. I was thinking more along the lines of this in xwork.xml:

<skins>
    <skin name="skin1"/>
    <skin name="skin2"/>
</skins>
That is a duplication. You have stuff in web.xml and xwork.xml about it. Plus, I don't quite see how the above would be used?

Plus that could be extended to perhaps specify a default set of UI
components for each skin or whatever. I think this sounds quite nice,
web.xml configuration aside.
"default"? Default for what? You'd have to describe this a whole lot more to make any sense. I don't see what this would do or how it would work.

/Rickard