On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

On Friday 09 July 2004 00:35, Mathias Sundman wrote:
What I am trying to say? I am very happy that you guys are actively
working on openvpn. Really.

Just please do not OVERdesign it.

Maybe it's better to try to port daemontools to Windows
and run openvpn daemon(s) under it.

I agree that we must watch out so we don't overdesign it. It's easily
done. However, one thing to keep in mind is that we're not talking about
adding complexity to the openvpn binary (except for an interface to get
status information), and we're not talking about removing current
functionallity.

IMHO daemontools for windows, if ported, can handle quite a variety
of different setups, including one needed by openvpn. Then you can
install it as part of openvpn install.

If the only issue we had to solve here was how a normal user should be able to spawn openvpn processes, I agree we should use already existing software to solve this.

However, this issue has grown abit larger than that. Our gui client needs to:

* Scan a directory for configuration files.
* A way to spawn processes (preferable portable)
* Maintain a table over on which port it can reach the openvpn
  process management interface.
* Monitor that all openvpn processes are still alive
* Connect to all the openvpn processes and get status info

There is no fancy hardcoded things we are talking about, so it could all reside in the gui client, however I liked the idea of moving this functionallity into a portable service manager.

I need to code this regardless if we put it in the gui agent itself, or in this service manager, so I think it makes more sence to put the effort into a deamon from which other gui clients can benefit on all platforms, instead of into my not-so-portable gui.

NILINGS AB                        X    NO HTML/RTF in e-mail
Tel: +46-(0)8-666 32 28          / \   NO Word docs in e-mail