On 3/17/08, Christophe Vandeplas <christo...@vandeplas.com> wrote:
> >  So back to my original idea... Use the management interface to prompt
>  >  the user to select a certificate.
>

> What does that mean for the end-user? If I understand it correctly the
>  user will need to do the following:
>  - start tunnel/openvpn
>  - open webbrowser and select certificate
>  - enter key (where? webinterface?, cli?)

No no no... The OpenVPN GUI should handle all this... Prompt the user
with a list of certificates for him to choose.
The OpenVPN GUI may also be improved to execute some helper script to
filter out the list.

BTW: When I write OpenVPN GUI, I refer to any UI that uses the
management interface to control OpenVPN. A simple .NET application may
be written to do so in little effort.

>  The thing is that some implementations of middleware (the Belgian eID
>  middleware, based on opensc) prompts the user with a GUI windows for
>  entering the password. (at least on MS Windows, not on my mac).
>  This window is started from the opensc layer and thus independent of
>  the layer above (openvpn). (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I believe you are wrong and referring to the CSP alternative. PKCS#11
provider should not issue UI.

>  With this situation it really becomes to complex for the end-user:
>  - start tunnel (place 1)
>  - open browser select certificate (place2)
>  - enter passwd in separate window (place 3)
>  The user has 3 different locations where input is needed.

No...
Start a tunnel using the OpenVPN GUI.
The OpenVPN GUI will prompt the user to select a certificate (If have
more than one... maybe it will preselect it).
The OpenVPN GUI will prompt for passphrase.

>  With my proposed patch, the user has only two different things to do.
>  - start tunnel
>  - enter key in cli or GUI window
>  There are no complex certificate selections, as most of the users
>  don't even understand what they are. Isn't it the sys/net-admin that
>  should configure that pkcs11-id or pkcs11-match string?

If you take Microsoft certificate store for example. Internet explorer
will prompt the user to select correct certificate when required. Just
like in the proposed scenario.

>  I plan to work on v2 of my patch to enable the 'match' on either the
>  DN or the serialised-id. This way it becomes even more flexible and
>  powerful.
>  But well, except if there is no hope of seeing this patch in the main
>  trunk in the future ...

I believe that adding more complexity into the OpenVPN daemon is not
correct approach. For this reason we have the management interface,
that enable to deligate user interaction into separate solution.

>  What do you think?
>
>  Isn't it also a possibility to include both ways? If yes I think we
>  should rewrite it a little to prevent duplicate code as much as
>  possible...

I don't understand why the management interface solution is not sufficient.

Alon.