Il 14.03.2012 11:13, Alon Bar-Lev ha scritto:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM, David Sommerseth
> <openvpn.l...@topphemmelig.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 14/03/12 09:33, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
>>> As the mingw build is the formal build, there is no reason to keep
>>> supporting old visual studio configurations.
>> That's debatable.  James Yonan is using MSVC for the OpenVPN AS client,
>> and has indicated that he wanted that.  I don't know much more than this,
>> but it might be related to his concerns about the old mingw32 tool chain
>> not being too well maintained.  I know that's not an issue with the
>> mingw64 stuff.
>>
>> However, currently the official tool chain is MSVC for Windows builds.
>> All other platforms uses the autotools toolchain.  We can surely discuss
>> if this is the right discussion, but that's a discussion where James will
>> have the final word.
>>
>> - From my perspective, the less toolchains we need to care about, the
>> better.  But we are not in a position where we can overrule James'
>> decisions, especially not without involving him in the discussion.
> So please involve.
> Again, I did not wrote to remove MSVC, just to support 2010 and above.
>
> Alon.
I'll try to involve him in this week's or next week's IRC meeting :).

Personally, I got the feeling that the Python-based MSVC buildsystem he
started writing (and which I finished) was a reaction to the general
crappiness of OpenVPN Windows buildsystem(s). And that should not be an
argument after the new "generic" buildsystem is merged.

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager

irc freenode net: mattock