On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Athanasios Douitsis <aduit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just thinking loudly, definitely not asking for someone to write it
> and replace the existing build process(es). Having said that, I'd like to
> clarify that what I meant is this would not be an additional dependency on
> top of others, since neither cygwin nor msvc would be needed anymore.
> Anyway, not important, just a thought.

Visual studio build is for compatibility for people who insist of using it.

The "generic" build system is pure cross compile / native build system
for dependencies and openvpn. It compiles openvpn using a given
toolchain to any environment.

For example, you can use it to compile at Linux for Linux on power pc
or to Linux on arm.
As a side effect you can also compile openvpn on Linux to windows using mingw.
This exact same script without any modification can be used on Windows
in cygwin environment to cross compile to windows native.

So at the larger picture the target is to maintain a single build
system for all environment... same dependencies, same utilities.

Alon