Hello,

Part of the reasoning was discussed here[1].

If we do not want to do auto detection, enabling optional components
may lead to configure failure, and force the user to explicitly
disable this feature.

It is possible, and I don't mind so much, however, I prefer configure
to use the minimum absolutely needed components by default, and in
majority of valid cases succeed.

Disabling by default does not effect users nor building via build
script nor building via package management (rpmbuild, deb). It only
effects people who build manually from sources. These people should
not only consider the lzo enable/disable but many more configure
options so lzo is no exception.

Alon.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.openvpn.devel/5772/focus=5811