On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Arne Schwabe <a...@rfc2549.org> wrote:
> Am 10.05.12 00:09, schrieb Alon Bar-Lev:
>> Hmmm... the fact that you are not using git, and create separate
>> branch for the changes makes it very difficult to peak.
> Sorry. I am new to git and the distributed version systems. I hope this
> patch is better. I also pushed the changes to
> https://github.com/schwabe/openvpn/.

This is good but you need to rebase master... something like:
$ git checkout android
$ git rebase master

>> I see a mix of changes and a separate build system which I am not sure
>> is needed. You build openvpn as a shared library, it is OK, I had this
>> on my list, but why not use the current build to do so?
> Building with the android build system was easier for me. Openvpn is
> only build as a shared library but still used as a standalone
> executable. This has to do with the apk packaging and the android market.
> Transforming openvpn into a real library turned out to be more difficult
> because there multiple points in the code where openvpn more or less
> calls exit to clean up.

Yes, this is well known, someday we will have to deal with this. Maybe sooner...
Anyway, I can provide you with a branch that produce both executable
and library.

> But before discussing the best way of building openvpn on android I
> would rather like to get input on the other changes.

Go over the patch, remove all changes that result from plain
indentation changes, or addition of new lines.

I also don't understand why the log should be special, and you cannot
just use the management interface as-is.

Please also try to avoid mixing windows code and posix code.

Regarding the tun open, I don't understand why you cannot do this
before you execute the openvpn, as persisted tun device.

Bottom line, I don't think there is real need to define a new target
for android, almost every change you introduce has nothing to do with
platform specific.

You should explain clearly why each change is needed... and probably
split it into own commit.

>> I suggest you clone the repository at github, create a branch and
>> order your changes.
>

> that would mean to revert all changes, making the changes in small steps
> and commiting each step? (I am still trying to learn how to work with git)

Right.

If I understand correctly, if I leave out the library creation, and
the in-line tap creation, and the management log changes, there are
only minor changes, which should be explained one-by-one.

Regards,
Alon.