Hi,

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 05:22:52PM -0400, Eric Crist wrote:
> My two cents on this is as follows:
>
> As a package maintainer, I think this is going to prove to be a lot of
> work.  It means there are more packages to maintain, over the one I
> need to now.

Yeah.  From a sysadmin perspective, super-modular projects like Xorg or
teTeX really make my life miserable - and I do not see particular gain
in moving things that are part of "the openvpn package" into separate
projects.

(Windows TAP is fine, as it's really a project on its own, useful for
openvpn, but not that closely tied to it)

> HOWEVER, from the OpenVPN development process, I think it's best
> to split things out, as Alon suggests, with one caveat.  Let's wait
> for 3.0.  That's already going to be a massive change to our source
> tree and overall build process, and I think it would be the right
> time to push that out.

Even then.  Modular source doesn't mean everything gets fragmented in
500 teeny little packages where package maintainers or sysadmins have
to figure out which 395 of those they need, and which ones can be
skipped.

Try to build Xorg or teTeX yourself, from packages, and learn from it.

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de