Hi,

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 02:00:32PM +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> >> Can't we progress?
> >
> > Why is that progress?
> >
> > Change always has drawbacks.  If the plus sides outweighs the drawbacks,
> > change is good.  Change for change's sake, "just because you can change
> > it", is not.
>
> Yes, but still from your responses I don't see any drawback... maybe I
> am slow learner...

Drawback to maintainers and sysadmins has already been mentioned by
ecrist and me.  Try being a sysadmin for a few weeks and figure out
which bits of xorg you need to download to install xinit, assuming
you have a system without any X libraries and headers yet (in the xorg
example: splitting off "xinit" might actually make sense, but splitting
the basic infrastructure to build anything into about 50 different
"xyz-library" and "xyz-headers" packages is crazyness).

But the onus is not particularily on me: you have not put forward
convincing arguments why splitting off a very small number of files
that only make use in the context of OpenVPN into their own repository
has any *advantage*.

The handwavy argument "it will attract more users!" can be countered by
similarily handwaving "I, as a user, hate to download multiple packages
to figure out how to start contributing, and so it will scare *away*
users".

As a counterexample, look at Apache.  They have heaps of modules in
the main tarball, and have no issues with frequent release and with
attracting developers.  And still, modules maintained by non-apache
developers can be developed externally, without having to splitt off
all existing modules beforehand.

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de