Hi,

Apart from the error message, there is a larger issue especially when we
> use iservice. In that case, we have to preserve privilege separation and
> allowing a user to open a device handle in use by another has to be avoided.

Do you see it as a security issue when handle can be opened by another
process?

To read / write to tunnel one needs to register ring buffers, and this call
will fail for any other process. Am I missing something here?

> Can we get the wintun folks to support exclusive open (say FILE_SHARE_READ
> = 0) or expose the internal count of number of open handles? That would
> also make it easier to fix this and provide better error messages.

We could maybe submit a patch for that.

I agree it would be nice to have.

> Hmm.. if multiple openvpn instances are not tested this is not ready for
> review yet, is it?

I don't think so. I would not expect new tun driver (or code around it) to
support all features of old driver right from the beginning.

Wintun doesn't replace tap-windows6, so if someone requires functionality
which wintun doesn't yet support, one could always switch to previous
driver.

Again, a quick test shows that, with multiple openvpn instances, it does
> open an already opened device and then fails while registering ring buffers.

Yeah, it would be nice to eventual support multiple tunnels, but I don't
think that this is "must have" in the first version.