Hi,

(cc:ed to -devel)

> I would vote for B and not the combination.
>
> With wintun there is no backwards compatibility requirements, so we could
> use a cleaner, consistent and simpler approach (i.e B). Do not create any
> adapter during installation and dynamically create a temporary adapter at
> connection time.

My main concern with creating tun adapter on demand is that it is far from
instant:

$ time ./tapctl.exe create --hwid wintun
{D9F56B7A-3054-4ADC-9457-61030F0B469D}

real    0m2,090s

I don't think we want to add it to connection time.

Creating one persistent adapter per profile (as viscosity does for
> tapwindows and wireguard seems to do for wintun)

If I remember right, wireguard doesn't create persistent adapter, instead
it adds/removes it on demand.

If --dev-node is specified, we open the named adapter which the user is
> supposed to have created as we do for tapwindows.

Yes, I plan to add support for --dev-node for wintun.

--
-Lev