What you're looking for is the openvpn challenge/response protocol,
which can be used when authentication is done via the management
interface.

https://openvpn.net/community-resources/management-interface/
describes it a bit.

I know that the MFA portion of the management interface system I wrote
(https://github.com/j-m-patterson/ovpnherder) supports passing TOTP
tokens via static challenge (which is where you put the
"static-challenge" directive in the client config) as well as
concatenating them with the password.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, static and dynamic
challenge-response isn't available if you're using a plugin or script
for authentication. So if you're ready to take the plunge into using
the management interface, you can do it.  Otherwise, you're stuck with
concatenating the OTP token to the password.