Hi

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 11:52 AM Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 07:29:52PM +0200, Dajka Tamás wrote:
> > If interested, I can send the script over ( PAM is used for user
> > auth against an MS AD, and Radius is used for SecurID, since that
> > handle???s challenge-response auths, so we can wait for the user???s
> > answer to dynamic questions without blocking the whole auth flow).
>
> I'm certainly interested.
>
> > So, if you want to do a bit more complex stuff, than the management
> > interface will be your friend (a perl/python/php/whatever daemon
> > will be needed to connect to the mgmt interface and handle the
> > requests from the openvpn server).
> >
> > For simple tasks a static-challenge + PAM auth can be more than enough.
>
> I've come to like the auth-PAM plugin (after I fought it for a while,
> and won :-) ).  It does async nowadays, and if it does what you need,
> it's easier to use than setting up "things talking to management".
>
> I haven't looked into dynamic challenges yet, but it seems I should...
> Selva: am I reading the source correctly, a plugin can not create a dynamic
> challenge?

No it doesn't.

There were two issues blocking this: (i) PAM_CONV_AGAIN needed to
restart the PAM stack at a point is not supported by most PAM modules
of interest (ii) a customized AUTH_FAILED message could be sent only
from the management interface  (during reauth --- initial auth is fine).

For (i) probably we can avoid PAM_CONV_AGAIN and do this using
deferred auth.

For (ii) not sure whether this has changed with Arne's
recent patches -- also there was a patch from viscosity folks for
custom AUTH_FIALED from plugins.

Maybe it's time to look into this again.

Selva

Selva