On 19.08.23 10:02, Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 07:03:01 +0000 (UTC), Jason Long via Openvpn-users
> <openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> I have another questions:
>> 1- I checked the "Subject" of the ca.crt file and my CN name is "Server".
>> Now,
>>    I must change the "ccd" directory to "Server", but how about the file name
>>    under the "Server" directory?
>
> WHAT?????
>
> The ccd directory is defined in the server.conf file and could be named
> whatever
> you like. It has NOTHING whatever to do with the CommonName in any certificate
> or such!

>To add to that, we're talking about the *CA* cert here (in spite of its
>CN reading "Server") and the CA isn't going to connect to the VPN
>server, so having a CCD¹ *whatever* to match its CN isn't going to do
>anything ever.

>¹ That *does* still stand for "(Per-)*Client* Configurations Directory",
>right? :-3

>>> 2- Suppose you want to configure a server. Can you show me the names you
>>> enter
>>>    for the commands below?
>>>
>>> # ./easyrsa build-ca nopass
>>> Common Name (eg: your user, host, or server name) [Easy-RSA CA]: "Your_Name"

>Binect Exasperation CA - A

>(When rotating CA certs, we "increment" the trailing letter.)

>>> # ./easyrsa gen-req "Your_Name" nopass
>>> # ./easyrsa sign-req server "Your_Name"

>exavpn.binect.de

>>> # ./easyrsa gen-req "Your_Name" nopass
>>> # ./easyrsa sign-req client "Your_Name"

>These create a *client* cert, which is unnecessary to "configure a
>*server*", strictly speaking.

>Since you seem to plan to have a boatload of CCD files, which need to be
>named after the client certs' CN, I would probably revise my previous
>suggestion of "Jason Long's private cell phone" and go with something
>like "JasonLong_privCell" instead.

>Not that it should be much news to you how *I* would name CA, server,
>and client certs, respectively, if you had read my previous posts ...

>Kind regards,
>--
>Jochen Bern
>Systemingenieur

>Binect GmbH

Hi Jochen,
Excuse me, I'm confused. I asked:

"If CN's name is Server, then I must change the ccd directory to Server? Am I
right?"

Answer:

"If that's what the Subject CN of the cert you want to use as a client cert
says, then yes, that's it. Of course, looking at a file "ca.crt" and seeing a
CN "Server" for what is supposed to be the *client's* cert is botched twelve
ways to Gehenna and back and will perpetually confuse anyone trying to debug
your final setup..."

Please clarify this for me. To use the --ccd-exclusive statement, I must create
a directory under the /etc/openvpn directory:

1- Is the the name of that directory important or not? Its name must be "CCD"
or the CN's name, or it could be anything?

2- After the directory, I must create a file under it. How about the name of
that file? Is the the name of that file important or not?

3-  For "Common Name (eg: your user, host, or server name) [Easy-RSA CA]:"
question, I can enter my name or anything and the name that I entered could be
used for the following commands, but not mandatory. Am I right?

# ./easyrsa gen-req "Your_Name" nopass
# ./easyrsa sign-req server "Your_Name"

4- The names that I must enter for the following commands, must be same. Right?