On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:01:09 +0100, Bo Berglund <bo.bergl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:29:57 +0000, André via Openvpn-users
><openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>>> In my logs a typical line taken at random reads:
>>>
>>> HakanUbu/83.166.213.132:65076 PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REQUEST'
>>>
>>> Note: No idea about WHEN this happened, that has driven me crazy many times
>>> when I had to figure out a problem.
>>>
>>> And I am using verb 4 in the server's config file.
>>>
>>> Is there a separate config setting I have missed to make sure the logfiles
>>> contain the timestamp on each line?
>>
>>Check the systemd service file.
>
>Where can I find that?

I looked around and found this File:

/lib/systemd/system/openvpn-server@.service

But the server I am testing is named serverlopcal and that is not found here.

The only file I found contains this:

[Unit]
Description=OpenVPN service for %I
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target
Documentation=man:openvpn(8)
Documentation=https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Openvpn24ManPage
Documentation=https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/HOWTO

[Service]
Type=notify
PrivateTmp=true
WorkingDirectory=/etc/openvpn/server
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/openvpn --status %t/openvpn-server/status-%i.log
--status-version 2 --suppress-timestamps --config %i.conf
CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_IPC_LOCK CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
CAP_NET_RAW CAP_SETGID CAP_SETUID CAP_SYS_CHROOT CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE
CAP_AUDIT_WRITE
LimitNPROC=10
DeviceAllow=/dev/null rw
DeviceAllow=/dev/net/tun rw
ProtectSystem=true
ProtectHome=true
KillMode=process
RestartSec=5s
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Can I edit this file and remove the item --suppress-timestamps to possibly
enable the timestamps? And remove the machine-readable-output item in the actual
service conf file?
Will that result in human-readable timestamps?

And why is there a --suppress-timestamps item in the
/lib/systemd/system/openvpn-server@.service file to begin with?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden