>> Linux can hardly fit in a 2MB flash device, once you have opened the
> Yes, but this text was written in the old times (2004?)

I've been using OpenWRT on my WL-700gE for a while now.  That machine
has a 2MB flash, so OpenWRT is quite usable there.  But yes, it also has
a IDE interface, so the 2MB only serves as a sort of initramfs (indeed,
I don't even include a jffs2 partition, only squashfs).

> Linux is more and more modularized, so it is
> comfortably possible to run it (customized)
> with 4MB RAM and 512k of FLASH.

This may be true, but I've found that the firmware for my WL-700gE tends
to grow overtime, so while it's more and more modularized allowing it to
run on ever smaller devices, for a given set of features its size tends
to increase over time rather than decrease.

        Stefan