On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 18:05 +0100, edgar.sol...@web.de wrote:

> obviously. DD-WRT micro images also run on 2MB devices, see for
> contained functionality
> http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions
> , so why should openwrt fail to do so?
> I already compiled images smaller than 2MB. Functionality was limited of
> course.

The OpenWRT core devs have made a decision to not pursue the 2/8 option.
That's why I recommend a sister project.  Not to say, "G'way kid", but
rather to have project, that incorporates updates from OpenWRT for bug
fixes, etc, but starts from the ground up by choosing the small option
over the featureful option.

You can strip busybox and the kernel more than OpenWRT does, as well as
base-files.   If you define the functionality you expect to support and
make your configuration/coding decisions based on that, you can end up
with a much more optimal solution for tiny routers then by hacking on a
firmware that expects a minimum of 4MB.  In other words I think it'd be
better, if you want an effective 2MB router, to build for 2MB routers
from the beginning, rather than hacking bits off a 4MB+ firmware.

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore