Actually, Y in menuconfig doesn't add the modules into the kernel,
they will still be kernel modules. It only places the modules directly
in the image and is in no way different from Y for programs. M creates
packages for the modules/program without placing it in the image.
If you want to compile a module into the kernel, you have to choose Y
in kernel_menuconfig.

          Bernhard