Re-checked the configs from my last build (available at
ftp://ftp.maddes.net/openwrt/backfire/brcm-2.4/build_21402/squashfs/)
In the menu config it is "CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-tun=y", but in the kernel
and final/used config it is "CONFIG_TUN=m".
So the better squashfs compression was what helped me.

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.
Maddes