On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:28:13 +0100
Bastian Bittorf <bitt...@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> * Daniel Dickinson <dan...@cshore.neomailbox.net> [10.03.2013 19:57]:
> > Actually, the default in the code is to use the EEPROM values if
> > present, but if the EEPROM doesn't set a country code or
>
> to be clear:
> during compile-time, a description is loaded which values are allowed
> for each country:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-regdb.git;a=blob_plain;f=db.txt;hb=HEAD
>
> even if those values are changing (and they do!) you have e device
> which needs a reflash to get the new values, so in the EEPROM is
> just the country set and the software/driver knows what to do.
>
> e.g. what we make, is to include a changed "regdb" during compiletime.
> (but ofcourse respect the law)

> > > sorry, but this is really a different case.
> >
> > I concur, this isn't about what you say or write in private, for
>
> ok, this was a bad example.
>
> > instance.  EM interference is a public safety and communications
> > issue (interfering with emergency frequencies or vital control
> > systems is obviously bad, and even if it was just television
> > signal, interfering with everyone else's television because *you*
> > want better wifi is selfish at best; and messing with cell phones
> > because you want wifi won't make you friends).
> >
> > Telecommunications regulations exist because otherwise it'd be like
>
> it's not about breaking the law (no discussion about that needed here)
> it's about using the values you are allowed, e.g. using channel 12,13
> in germany - but all the EEPROM are for US.
>
> you posted some screenshots of the original tplink-firmware for
> Israel: they made nearly everything wrong for the user.

I'm afraid you've confused me with someone else.   I posted no such
thing.  Also I looked at the forum link Daniel Golle mentions in his
followup to this message, and it is talking about exactly breaking
(Israeli) law in Israel (the whole reason they don't want to use the
default firmware is that they want to use channels that (they at least
seem to believe) are 'not allowed by the government here [Israel]').
I.e. they want to break the law.

I agree it makes things hard for legitimate users but the developers
cannot simply let anyone do anything and expect to continue to get
information and support from US-based chipset companies that take a dim
view of assisting breaking the law, or not putting adequate safeguards
in place to prevent non-knowledgeable/caring users from causing EM
interference (actually most governments are the same way, in case you
haven't noticed).

In addition developers need to know that their not going to be held
resposible for other developers not caring about their country's laws,
unless OpenWrt is willing to lose all developers from the US and Canada
(which has similar laws).

Basically part of the reason there is an effort underway to improve the
means by which regulatory enforcement is done is that all developers
need to be able to tell regulators of their country that their
countries regulations are not being thwarted by a project they work on.

The original intent of atheros was that the EEPROM country code would
be used to differentiate countries and this mechanism was the mechanism
coded for.  Device manufacturers don't like the scheme, however,
because it causes inventory issues (you have to have devices that are
specific to a country), so a new mechanism is needed, however it takes
time to design and develop something that will satisfy the law, chipset
manufacturers interpretations of what they need to do to obey the law,
odm interpretation of what they need to do to satisfy the chip vendor,
and linux developers and lastly users (sorry but open source is a
codocracy; you write or pay for the writing the code, it's your
decision; if you're user-oriented, users get a say, but it's the people
who do (and may be legally liable) who make the decisions).

Regards,

Daniel

Regards,

Daniel

> bye, bastian.

<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping,
it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it
is.