Hi,

When I tried to flash DIR-615 E4 with OpenWrt factory image via the
vendor's web-interface, it refused to accept the new firmware. After
some digging I think I found the issue and it possibly affects also
DIR600A1, DIR601A, FR54RTR, DIR825C1 and DIR835A1.

The way Cameo7240 profile currently works is to take uImageLzma, pad it
to the multiple of 0x10000 (64KiB), append squashfs padded to 0x2A0000,
then append the signature (like "AP99-AR7240-RT-091105-05" in my
case). I think that worked initially when the resulting compressed
kernel size was between 0xB0001 and 0xC0000, so with the rootfs the sum
was 0x360000. However, the current build gave me
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-lzma.bin of size 0xF8570, so the resulting
combined image was 0x40000 bigger than it should have been.

Now that the kernel partition size is determined automatically (by
uImage splitting), it doesn't matter anymore how big is the kernel, what
matters is to get the combined image of the right size. I can confirm
that after I reduced the padding of the rootfs, the result was accepted
by the stock vendor's firmware and now I run OpenWrt just fine :)

Do you want me to prepare the patch that should fix DIR-615E4 images?
Can other "Cameo" users speak up, is it the same for you, should the
factory generation be fixed too in the same way?

mailto:fercer...@gmail.com