Thank you John and Michel for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated.
Based on your comments and some research I found a resolution to the issue
that in the end is quite simple.

Whether the Ralink extension of UBoot is hackish or not Is not for me
to judge but in their defense the issue of the leaking switch during
bootloader processing is well covered by them. There is a compile option to
lock down the switch during bootloader startup, which, when activated, does
exactly what it should so the issue I observed does not occur. I quote: "The
switch operates in dump switch mode by default when the board powers up. It
will cause the clients on the LAN site get the dynamic ip address from the
remote DHCP server connected to WAN port. Set LAN/WAN Partition to avoid
the Client’s DHCP request forwarded to the WAN side. "

I simply downloaded the SDK, compiled the bootloader with the parameters
shown during the boot process with the default bootloader the manufacturer
delivers (plus the switch lock down of course), upload and flash the
bootloader with a serial cable and that's that. Not exactly rocket science
once I understood what a bootloader actually is and does - thanks again for
your guidance. So the issue is not really with Ralink but rather with the
device manufacturer who compiles and deploys an inadequately configured
Ralink UBoot version.

I can say that with the self-compiled bootloader switch leaking does no
longer occur during bootloader processing. I found though on AA that about
half the time during OpenWrt boot process a leak would occur around the
time of network initialisation; the behaviour was not consistent, exactly
50/50 in a dozen boot tests including full power down. On trunk with this
patch
https://dev.openwrt.org/attachment/ticket/14156/0300-NET-MIPS-rt3052-boot-switch.patch
the
issue of OpenWrt leaking during boot up did not occur once in a dozen boot
ups. I have not tested trunk without that patch, but if trunk without the
patch behaves like AA I will submit it formally for your consideration.