On Feb 22, 2016, at 10:02 AM, Robert Drake <rdr...@direcpath.com> wrote:
> That seems like something you need to worry about no matter what the protocol
> is or where it originally came from.  If a company wants to torpedo the
> standards process then they've always got lawyers.  It doesn't matter how
> silly their claim is, they can tie it up in lawsuits for years.

  True.

> The flip side to this is, if the IETF drags out this fight for too long, I
> could see major vendors making their own efforts to secure the protocol prior
> to anyone making a standard (possibly because a large customer demands the
> protocol be secured for whatever reason).  If that happens, we might be stuck
> with TACACS+TLS from one vendor that doesn't interoperate with
> TACACS+blowfish from another (hopefully all with the ability to fallback to
> the defacto standard if needed.. or perhaps we just run 3 separate servers
> with different extensions to support multiple vendors..)
>
> Maybe not.  It's been 20 years.  It's possible it's just too obscure to worry
> about, but we won't know until it happens.

  I think since TACACS+ has waited 20+ years for standardization, it's worth
waiting a few more months to be sure we get it right.

  And since TACACS+ is largely used *within* the enterprise, the issue of
securing it is less relevant than (say) RADIUS, which is used across the wider
internet.

  Alan DeKok.