On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:28 AM, joel jaeggli <joe...@bogus.com> wrote:
> On 2/18/16 7:18 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> In my opinion, IETF standards track RFCs should be reserved for
>> protocols for which further development is expected to occur primarily
>> within the IETF framework. As I understand the situation (feel free to
>> correct me if I'm wrong), TACACS+ is a vendor maintained standard,
>> specifically Cisco. Regardless of publication, Cisco intends to retain
>> control of the standard and its future development.
>
> Assuming the document is split into to pieces here part of goal as I
> understand it is address the issue of adding ssl to the existing
> specification in an inter-operable fashion.

Hi Joel,

Is Cisco prepared to cede further change control of the core TACACS+
standard to the IETF process? I have no objection to the IETF
absorbing, standardizing and improving the TACACS+ protocol if that is
the vendor's desire. I would not want to see multiple standards bodies
in control of different little bits of the TACACS+ standard. I think
that would sow needless confusion among the folks trying to work with
it.

I respectfully observe that should Cisco wish to retain control of the
core TACACS+ standard, nothing prevents them from adopting a consensus
recommendation for security improvements into the standard without any
need for IETF publication. In such situations, IETF publication offers
little more than bragging rights.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--