发件人: OPSAWG [mailto:opsawg-boun...@ietf.org] 代表 Rob Wilton (rwilton)
发送时间: 2021年4月20日 17:19
收件人: Roman Danyliw <r...@cert.org>; The IESG <i...@ietf.org>
抄送: opsawg@ietf.org; opsawg-cha...@ietf.org;
draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs-y...@ietf.org
主题: Re: [OPSAWG] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs-yang-10:
(with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Roman,

Thanks for the review.   I have chipped in a couple of comments on your discuss
concerns below.

My understanding is that RFC8907 defines the current TACACS+ protocol as it
stands, and that this draft is intended to document the YANG configuration data
model that goes alongside RFC8907, and that these two documents act as a
starting point for any future TACACS+ work in IETF.

> -- this functionality is advocating for supporting an insecure
> approach with proposed standard (rather than informational) status
[RW]

The proposed standard status really comes from the fact that it is documenting
a formal API (i.e., the YANG data model), and that this document should reflect
IETF consensus on the data model for how TACACS+ is managed in YANG.  I also
believe that the intention is that we can build on RFC8907 and this draft to
improve the security aspects of the TACACS+ protocol over time and having the
base YANG model draft being standards track is probably better to build on.

As a side note, a question from the routing ADs came up regarding what the
status of documents containing YANG Modules should be (in that case for YANG
models documenting experimental RFCs).  Perhaps it would help for me to write
up some guidelines and to discuss those with the IESG?

> ** Is this document intentionally breaking backward compatibility on the
> “shared-secret” size specified in RFC8907?
>
> (a) Section 4.
>           case shared-secret {
>             leaf shared-secret {
>               type string {
>                 length "16..max";
>               }
>
> (b) Section 10.5.1 of RFC8907 says “TACACS+ server administrators SHOULD
> configure secret keys of a minimum of 16 characters in length.”
>
> As (b) is not a MUST (a “secret key” shorter than 16 is possible), it
> would
> appear that (a) breaks compatibility.
[RW]

Section 10.5.1 of RFC8907 also states:

   *  TACACS+ clients SHOULD NOT allow servers to be configured without
      a shared secret key or shared key that is less than 16 characters
      long.

Given that an implementation could use a YANG deviation to allow shorter
shared-secrets, I think that having the standard IETF YANG model require shared
keys to be at least 16 characters is the right choice.

If clients were currently using shared keys of less than 16 characters then
they would need to change to longer secrets, but the YANG data model is
defining a new API anyway, so a certain amount of migration would be expected
anyway.

Does this help with your discuss concerns?

Regards,
Rob