On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 10:40 AM Russ Housley <hous...@vigilsec.com> wrote:

> Understood. I'm not suggesting the web PKI be used to authenticate IP
> address space ownership. I'm suggesting that the following chain would be
> sufficient:
>
>  * RPKI authenticates the routing information, which includes the IP
> address space and the https URLs for each geofeed file.
>  * Web PKI authenticates the data served at that URL.
>  * Client verifies that the IP ranges in the geofeed data are contained
> within the (RPKI-authenticated) routing information.
>

> This is not quite right.  It is true that theWebPKI provide authentication
> and integrity when https:// is used, but this is not required.  If http://
> were used, and the file was modified in transit by an attacker, the RPKI
> signature check would fail.

Yes. Which is why I'm suggesting that you mandate https.

I'm obviously not aware of the potential operational complications of doing
so, as I don't work in this area. There may be good reasons why this is
impractical. The tradeoff, however, is a more complex client ecosystem,
which must accommodate two authentication methods instead of one.

Kyle