-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 12:43 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

> We are in the process of installing a GIS package (Arc/info) which has an
> oracle component (SDE)

> I have to setup tablespaces to handle various types of data, one of the
> tablespaces will be holding
> Tiff images.  These images range are on average 25 Megs and there will be
> upto 200 images.

> It is Oracle 8.1.7.2 on Tru64 Unix

> From this I have a couple of questions.

> 1. I want to test different extent sizes for performance, what tool should
> use, tkprof or statspack

I prefer so called DBA intuition. The DBA intuition tells me that for
pictures
you want the block to be as big as possible. Thus, - 32k.

> 2. How big should the datafiles be, 500m, 1Gb etc.

2GB datafiles are usually the most reliable ones.

> 3. As for the extents,  I am leaning towards a locally managed tablespace,
> what kind of extent
> size would work best, 1m, 4m, 10 m etc.  As mentioned in 1 I plan on
testing
> this, just looking
> for feedback.

32M would be my personal preference. That would mean that 99% of your
pictures would reside in a single extent.

> 4. And, once these are loaded, is there any advantage to having the
> tablespace set to readonly ?

Yes. If the tablespace is read-only, then you don't need the undo protection

for the blocks from that tablespace nor do you need redo protection. In
other
words, the access to those blocks is much more streamlined, shortening the
path
through the code and thus making it faster.

> Thank You

> Darren

You're welcome.

Darren Browett P.Eng                                            This message
was transmitted
Data Administrator                                              using 100%
recycled electrons
Information and Communication Technology
City of Coquitlam
P:(604)927 - 3614
E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author: Browett, Darren