Darren

a 1 :
===
I would use both thprof to make sure that the SQL is efficient and
statpack to monitor the full database
a 2 :
===
I would never recommend to make the data files bigger than 2 Gb on unix,
so anything up to 2 GB will be fine.
How small you what to make the files depends on the number of disk's or
if you use raid to strip ?

a 3 :
===
You would use locally managed table spaces and make the extend size 1,
4, 10 or 512 Mb in this case it does not matter.

a 4 :
===
Yes, if the table space is read only you only need one backup but on the
other hand who gives a dam on 4 - 6 GB tape per today

Browett, Darren wrote:

>We are in the process of installing a GIS package (Arc/info) which has an
>oracle component (SDE)
>
>I have to setup tablespaces to handle various types of data, one of the
>tablespaces will be holding
>Tiff images.  These images range are on average 25 Megs and there will be
>upto 200 images.
>
>It is Oracle 8.1.7.2 on Tru64 Unix
>
>>From this I have a couple of questions.
>
>1. I want to test different extent sizes for performance, what tool should I
>use, tkprof or statspack
>
>2. How big should the datafiles be, 500m, 1Gb etc.
>
>3. As for the extents,  I am leaning towards a locally managed tablespace,
>what kind of extent
>size would work best, 1m, 4m, 10 m etc.  As mentioned in 1 I plan on testing
>this, just looking
>for feedback.
>
>4. And, once these are loaded, is there any advantage to having the
>tablespace set to readonly ?
>
>Thank You
>
>Darren

>Darren Browett P.Eng                                           This message
>was transmitted
>Data Administrator                                             using 100%
>recycled electrons
>Information and Communication Technology
>City of Coquitlam
>P:(604)927 - 3614
>E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

/regards