Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 7:18 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Charlie,
 We do a cold backup of the production database active tablespaces (36
GIG) each night and a cold backup each Sunday night of the full
database(active and read-only tablespaces 70 GIG). The reason we backup
the read-only each week is it is easier to restore from one tape and  I
do not control the backup script. I find it easier to have the group in
control of the backups to just backup the whole server once a week. Then
I do not have to double check them all the time if I make changes to the
database read-only data. Every 6 months I move a lot of data from the
active tables to the archive tables and the majority of the time it will
take 2 - 3 weeks to gat all the data moved( I have space limits on my
archivelog destination). It can be a challange to make sure another
department updates  and completes their work. Our system is primarly a
load in the am and query all day but there is a second instance that
contains all of the applications that are query and update
applications.
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/29/02 04:33PM >>>
How many sites are doing cold backups? At what frequency?

How many sites are doing hot  backups? At what frequency?

Does anybody know the existance of any "Best Practices"
paper on the web that discuss the topic of Oracle backups?
If so, what's the URL?

TIA!

--
Charlie Mengler                          Maintenance Warehouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         10641 Scripps Summit Ct.
Author: Charlie Mengler

Author: Ron Rogers

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS