Yes, you can use dd to read a tape.

from man dd:

     Example 3: Reading a Tape Into an ASCII File

     This example reads an EBCDIC tape blocked ten 80-byte EBCDIC
     card images per block into the ASCII file x:

     example% dd if=/dev/tape of=x ibs=800 cbs=80 conv=ascii,lcase

Are you going to sleep well until you have tested and documented
the recovery procedure?  No.

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 04:08:27PM -0800, Robyn Anderson Sands wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need some info about backups.  I am working on a customer site, and
> have implemented both exports and hot backups.  Both jobs copy to a
> separate mount point, and a job scripted by another individual then
> moves the files to tape.
>
> Here's the problem - he's using a dd command, primarily because it
> provides a succinct output he can email to non-technicals.  The file
> system is built on a 12 disk A1000 array.  We've provided him with a
> ufsdump script, but he's doesn't want to use it. Can the system be
> recovered from this tape?  Has anyone ever relied on a dd for a daily
> backup method? The system is Oracle 9i on Solaris 8.
>
> Robyn

> Author: Robyn Anderson Sands
>  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ray Stell   [EMAIL PROTECTED]     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell