Madhu,

    From the Oracle 8i Concepts manual:

"Refreshing Materialized Views

Oracle maintains the data in materialized views by refreshing them after changes
are made to their master tables. The refresh method can be incremental (fast
refresh) or complete. For
materialized views that use the fast refresh method, a materialized view log or
direct loader log keeps a record of changes to the master tables.

Materialized views can be refreshed either on demand or at regular time
intervals. Alternatively, materialized views in the same database as their
master tables can be refreshed whenever a transaction commits its changes to the
master tables. "

The syntax you need in the definition is "refresh on commit".

Dick Goulet
Author: "Reddy; Madhusudana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:       6/21/2002 2:13 PM

Thanks DG,
To my understanding from your reply, Can I have a fast refresh on a MV,
which is based on multiple tables , just by having log tables on base tables
of the MV ??

And u also said " You can also set it up so that when anyone makes a change
to the base tables the
MV gets updated as part of their transaction"  ... could you please shed
some more light on it ???

Thanks again
Madhu