-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 5:33 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Thanks Mahu. Do you get the feeling that I might have
done that a few times? ;)

Snapshots and materialized views are the same thing. I
guess I might start calling them materialized views in
the next version or two, but it is so hard to give up
old habits.

Another thing you might need to know - you can't
easily change a job in the Oracle job queue unless you
are the owner, which means that you can't do it as
DBA.

There is a package called dbms_ijob that will allow
you to change jobs as a dba even if you don't own
them. There is usually no public synonym for this
package, so you will have to refer to it as
sys.dbms_ijob. I believe that this package is not
officially supported, so you might not find a lot of
documentation on it, but I have used it for over a
year without any problems.

To turn off a snapshot refresh, use the
sys.dbms_ijob.broken function.

*BE ADVISED*

If you unbreak a job in the Oracle job queue, it will
try to run immediately. This includes snapshot jobs.
If you unbreak a *complete* snapshot refresh job, the
first thing it does is truncate the target table.
Unbreak a complete snapshot refresh job in the middle
of the day and viola, the users suddenly have no data.
Be careful.

hth,
jack

--- "Reddy, Madhusudana"