Hmmm...  Within the last two days I saw a news blurb that said there are now
113,000 OCPs - up from ~60,000 two (?) years ago.  I imagine the a
non-trivial number of these went through the entire ILT schedule to get
there.  I'm not sure exactly what this new OCP ILT requirement is, but I'd
venture a guess that it isn't some new course developed entirely from
scratch.  Look at what the OCM requires in the way of ILT - two additional
existing courses (and they aren't very picky about which).

So, it sounds like ~26,000 new OCPs per year.  True, this isn't likely to
cause their stock price to double, but I do think it is much more about
revenue rather providing useful certification.  How else could requiring a
$2,000 ILT class be justified?  (My understanding is that it is a class, not
a practicum exam).  Also, this is just the beginning.  I'd bet that future
certifications will up the ante on this Oracle ILT requirement.  Perhaps by
10i (11i?), the OCP will become more like the Oracle Masters deal - more
required ILT courses and simpler exams with heavier emphasis on the GUI
tools and whatever esoteric features Oracle is pushing at the time.  Think
of it this way: Possible Oracle10i OCP requirements:

1) Four weeks of Oracle ILT @ ~$2000 / week for a new OCP
2) Two weeks of Oracle ILT for an upgrade
3) Some exams that are easily passed by regurgitating the ILT - flaws and
all

Assume 100,000 people want a 10i OCP.  Assume that 30% are new and 70% are
upgrades.  (Wild guesses all.)

100,000 * [(0.30 * 4 * $2000) + (0.70 * 2 * $2000)] = $520,000,000

That doesn't include OCM or OCW (Oracle Certified Wizard) which add to the
ILT requirements - and revenue.

I can't imagine Oracle promoting anything so heavily if they only break
even.  (Does anyone else remember the Oracle Developer Programme?
Evidently, it didn't turn out to be the cash cow it was expected to be, so
it quietly disappeared.  Don't know about anyone else, but I didn't get a
refund.)

Don Granaman
[Curmudgeon OraSaurus]