FWIW ... in my last job we stored 13 million CLOB documents (max size of
5KB, stored out-of-line in their own CLOB segments) in an 8.1.7.3 DB under
Win2k (2 CPU HP NetServer with 4GB RAM and twenty-three 36GB drives;
JBOD).  The CLOB documents were all interMedia Text indexed.

"Contains" queries returned results in a second or less, unless the query
was not very specific and hit thousands of documents.  Java processes
loaded up to 250,000 new documents every night and the interMedia index was
refreshed shortly thereafter - took up to a couple of hours.  The front-end
was Cold Fusion, so that's not applicable to your situation.

This ~200GB database had a Standby DB on a sister machine.  Everything
worked very well.  RMan level 0 backups took a couple of hours.

I vote for out-of-line BLOBs in their own tablespace(s) on as many spindles
as you can afford.

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator
Austin Independent School District
Austin, Texas
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Stephane Paquette

                    <stephane_paquette@       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L
                    YAHOO.COM>                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Subject:     Re: image storage confusion
??

                    12/03/2002 08:32 AM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

You should/must do a benchmark.
If not, how can you justify your decision ?
If your management do not ask for a benchmack then you
have bad management (and that's no good for you
either...)

Anyway, in a previous life, we did a benchmarck with
files of similar size and it was faster on the OS.
The environment was Oracle 816/Sun with Vignette Story
Server.

HTH

 --- oraora  oraora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit
: > Guys , i posted this already and this time my
> question is a bit
> different .
>
> I  have to store 20,000,000 images of 5k each either
> in DB ( on
> win2k) or linux o/s file system.
>
> the images are to be displayed over mobile phones.so
> the time to
> retrieve the images should be minimum.
>
>   for this to be achieved , i am confused , whether
> the images
>   should be stored in o/s file system or in the DB ?
>
>   --selecting a file from linux o/s file system
> -------
>            or
>   --querying it from oracle DB ( on win2k)
> ---------------
>
>   which of the above will be faster ?
>
> all these will be done with java . this being
> condition , i
> would
>   like to know ur suggestion guys.
>
>   my DB is oracle 8.1.6 on Win2k.
>
> TIA
> --
> Author: oraora  oraora
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

=====
Stéphane Paquette
DBA Oracle et DB2, consultant entrepôt de données
Oracle and DB2 DBA, datawarehouse consultant
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Stephane=20Paquette?=