I would test it on raw disk device because it avoids double buffering.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 2:49 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Guys , i posted this already and this time my question is a bit
different .

I  have to store 20,000,000 images of 5k each either in DB ( on
win2k) or linux o/s file system.

the images are to be displayed over mobile phones.so the time to
retrieve the images should be minimum.

  for this to be achieved , i am confused , whether the images
  should be stored in o/s file system or in the DB ?

  --selecting a file from linux o/s file system -------
           or
  --querying it from oracle DB ( on win2k) ---------------

  which of the above will be faster ?

all these will be done with java . this being condition , i
would
  like to know ur suggestion guys.

  my DB is oracle 8.1.6 on Win2k.

TIA