This sounds cool.  You will of course share this, won't you?

Re "Jareds_tools" - I just made a suggestion and got my
name in the code.  :)

Jared

"Jesse, Rich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 01/29/2003 07:30 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Perl - Was Unix time conversion function

Because I'm picky.  I ruled out OracleTool because it's web-based.  While
it
may be an advantage at times (don't need to install on every machine I
use),
it's a whole number of layers I don't want to troubleshoot when in Crisis
Mode.

OraC is pretty cool.  I looked at it when I got O'Reilly's Oracle and Open
Source.  It's nice, but not what I want/need.  All I want is a tool that
will allow the user, Me, to design and maintain system events and their
respective metrics and thresholds and notify the user when those
thresholds
have been exceeded.  We already have a few tools that do this, but they
all
have their drawbacks.  OEM's drawbacks are that is doesn't notify us half
of
the time (and doesn't seem to have a mechanism to log notifications), and
that it's custom interface is TCL (another language I don't want to have
learn to perform a single task).

I also liked the "Jareds_tools" module...  :D

Rich

Rich Jesse                              System/Database Administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     Quad/Tech International, Sussex,
WI
USA

p.s.  I could have sworn I sent this out yesterday (Tuesday), but as I'm
in
the middle of a three-day PC rebuild (Winders bites!), I guess I'll take
MS
Lookout's word for it that I didn't.