Ethan,

> monitoring is active and my stats are up to date I should be able to
> multiply the total number of updates, inserts and commits by
> the average row
> size and get a rough % of what objects are generating the most redo.

Note that the amount of redo does not depend on the average row size. It
depends on the amount of _change_ (+ some overhead). This argument might
skew the situation towards a table that has a large row size but that does
not have that many updates...

> I am sure there are a number of other factors I need to
> consider, any ideas
> what they are?
> * Should I weight inserts, updates and deletes?
> * ??
>
> The goal is to identify the objects, then identify the jobs
> that work on
> those objects and see if I can reduce redo.  I suspect a lot
> of this redo is
> being generated because of some poor design issues.

What you _do_ need to do is to use this SQL to detect the SIDs performing
redo:

select sid, name, value
from v$statname n, v$sesstat v
where v.statistic# = n.statistic#
and name like 'redo size'
and value > 100000
order by value desc

You can then look at V$OPEN_CURSORS for those SIDs...

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

I don't know what the future holds for me, but I do know who holds my
future!

** The opinions and statements above are entirely my own and not those of my
employer or clients **
Author: John Kanagaraj