From: Post, Ethan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 10:44 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Oh Where Oh Where Is My Redo Coming From

Just had a thought here, have not tried it yet.  I have a database that I am
working with that is generating 28 GB of redo each day.  I would really like
to know what objects are generating all this redo without going through the
hassle of mining a bunch of log files.  It occurred to me that if table
monitoring is active and my stats are up to date I should be able to
multiply the total number of updates, inserts and commits by the average row
size and get a rough % of what objects are generating the most redo.

I am sure there are a number of other factors I need to consider, any ideas
what they are?

* Should I weight inserts, updates and deletes?
* ??

The goal is to identify the objects, then identify the jobs that work on
those objects and see if I can reduce redo.  I suspect a lot of this redo is
being generated because of some poor design issues.

Thanks!

- Ethan
Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services