generally, but not always if the first thing someone tells you about themselves or the
first justification for doing something is their years of experience, that person is
probably a novice.

alot of people assume that just because they have been doing something for a while
they have been doing it well. They dont spend time reading documentation, they dont
try out things that they have not always done, etc... I was just reading the first
chapter of Kytes new book(there is a link on his page) and he has a series of examples
of DBA pitfalls that include people like this.

now when you get to th technical reason for the approach its usually weak, outdated,
and founded on myths. If you even get to that level. alot of times they get insulted
because they got questioned.

Now this isnt always the case, but most of the time it is.

and its tough to argue with them since they have more 'experience'.

sounds like your Sr. DBA falls into that category.

Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]