Thanks for all the replies (to the list and some private..)

All that was done by the script was to send an e-mail to the VSDBA, when TS usage
crossed some
percentage, set by the VSDBA for those databases (they wanted almost everything that
Patrol did).

The only difference now is that the scripts are run via cron, at a frequency set by
the VSDBA. The
scripts do not have 'Patrol Intelligence' to send e-mails only once after detecting
some TS
crossed the threshold. THAT is the real rub. They were used to ignore such
notification from
Patrol. The script sends them e-mails until they fix the problem.

Auto extension of datafiles was not the solution in the VSDBA's mind. My suggestion to
set
datafiles to use auto extension was rejected (for whatever reasons). I am still
waiting to hear
how rollback/temp space issues in VSDBAs resolve automagically, other than after the
jobs got
terminated...

- Kirti

http://sbc.yahoo.com